Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The dogs didn't want to go for a walk today because it was rainy and gloomy, and someone in the house was eating.  I was the only one in the park, and it was a dark day well before sunset because of the low, thick clouds.  Near the bottom of the stairs, a sparrow called loudly to someone.  I was the only one around, but I didn't know what to say.  I think it was a Song Sparrow.  He or she hopped around in the salmonberry.  The high tide left very little beach.  More of the south end had fallen away.  You can see the exposed clay, the reason for the sliding hillside.  Water hits that clay layer and can't go anywhere.  The sandy soil sits on top of that water on the clay.  I almost slipped and fell on the wet clay just standing there looking at the hill.  Water runs out of the hill constantly, whether it's raining or not.  High winds are coming tonight, although not at peak tides.

I came back up through the community beach property to the south.  The skunk cabbage was not showing yet.  A large clump of bamboo is leaning over the Douglas-firs I planted a few years ago, shading them out.  I wish I had brought my pruning saw. 

In a healthy forest, a landslide or a fallen tree is an opportunity for native pioneer species to fill in.  In a compromised forest like ELP, each little natural disaster is an opportunity for unnatural invasive species to get a better hold on the forest.  As the gloomy day got darker, instead of enjoying my walk in the woods, all I could think about was the work I need to do, and what could happen if we don't get these invasive species under control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment