Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Today I saw a golden crowned kinglet.  She hopped about nearby, eating something off of fallen fir branches.  With her bright yellow crown drawing attention, she seemed remarkably unconcerned about two enormous dogs with long, sharp teeth, five feet away from her.  She was close enough and calm enough that I was able to snap a cruddy picture with my iPhone.  Most birds this size tend to be drab, blend in with nature, and stay a reasonable distance away from large, potentially dangerous animals.  They also tend to travel in flocks, so that one can sound an alarm for the others.  This lone bird hopped about with her bright yellow flag, within easy striking distance if I had been a predator.  How does this species survive?  What does the bright yellow accomplish to make up for risk from predators?  The wikipedia entry says they tend not to fear human approach.  Maybe they know people don't eat kinglets.  At least until the economy gets a little worse.

I distinctly remember an encounter with a ruby crowned kinglet.  He hopped around outside my kitchen window, eating tiny bugs.  When I went out to watch, he continued as if I wasn't there.  When he wanted to feed near where I was standing, he hopped with in two feet of me and shouted at me to get out of his way.  I never saw that kinglet again, and I hope his bravery wasn't just foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment