Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's hard to say what counts as the first flower of the year in Eagle Landing Park.  A currant started blooming before the snow and the ice storm, but that is probably a non-native cultivar planted in the park by mistake.  A trailing blackberry vine has a couple of flowers, but those are probably a mistake by a confused plant that got its signals wrong.  Indian plum, traditionally the first flowering native plant in local forests, is dangerously close to blooming.  I feel like the Indian plum is teasing me with its big fat buds that won't quite open.  Any day now. 

Whales were reported at Vashon Island and West Seattle.  I looked, but I couldn't see any from Eagle Landing Park.  I have lived near Eagle Landing Park much of my life, and I've never seen a whale in person.  I did see ducks and cormorants, and I heard a loon.  A hummingbird was chirping while dive-bombing in a territorial display. 

Red elderberry is starting to leaf out.  The tips of the red huckleberry are swelling.  Some of the snowberry bushes are leafing out while others look totally dormant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment