Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Today I set my iPhone up to shoot a time lapse of the clouds rolling by over Vashon.  Well, the clouds hardly budged, but an eagle swooped through the scene, hunting a duck.  The duck got away.  That was the first time I had ever seen the eagle actually in the process of hunting.  He had been in the perch tree, directly above that spot.  He swooped straight down at the duck he had been watching, but the duck dove down under water.  The eagle swooped back and forth, climbing and diving, keeping the duck underwater.  When the duck came up for a breath, the eagle dove again, but the duck dove down deep and swam away.  The eagle made a brief attempt at two more ducks about thrity feet away, but they flew off before he could reach them.  The eagle gave up and flew up to the alder tree just above my head.  Then he let out a loud call.

When I saw the eagle, I pointed him out to a man exercising on the stairs.  He got to watch the whole episode.  He said he had been coming to the park for years to exercise on the stairs, but that was the first time he had ever seen an eagle.
Stone 46

No comments:

Post a Comment